Thursday, December 24, 2015

Regionals and Onwards

Climb #5
Well, it's that time of the year again, bouldering season. Two weekends ago, I flew back to Arizona right before finals week. It was time for regionals, the first qualifying competition of the youth bouldering circuit. My region consisted of Arizona and New Mexico, which together put eleven climbers in my category. The onsight comp was held at my home gym, AZ on the Rocks

Isolation took a while, a good four hours, in fact, but at least I got to sharpen my non-existing hacky sack skills. Finally, it was climb time. I managed to flash five out of the six climbs and managed to get far on climb #4. This put me in second place with Ben Hanna flashing all six climbs.

The one that got away - Climb #4
To be honest the comp went very well. The climbs weren't exactly my style, but I still managed to figure them out and work through some tricky sequences (such as Climb #6 in the video below). I have also since sent the fourth climb, so I'm feeling pretty confident for this last season. It was also great to have another competition back at my gym after all this time. As always, I would like to thank the routesetters, AZR, and all the other people in the background of the comp. It also wouldn't be a competition without all the competitors who came from all over these two states!







Well, now it's time to use my three weeks off to train for divisionals, which are being held in Tuscon the second weekend of January (luckily right before I head back to school). I'll also be beginning to train for ropes, as open nationals are already in March. I'm really excited to see how this season holds up, being my last year of youth and my first year in opens.

Thank you everyone for keeping up with my blog and have a happy holiday season. The next post will most likely be right after divisionals, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment