Sunday, January 17, 2016

2016: Divisionals and Some Outdoor Updates

A sweet dyno on Problem #2 in Qualies
Well, the new year is here! Which means more competitions, more outdoor climbing, and another semester of school, all of which I am quite excited for.

So on the competition front, youth bouldering divisionals were just last weekend in Tucson, AZ (conveniently still while winter break was going on). The comp went quite well, with me finishing fourth in the end. However, the main lessons I took away were my weaknesses, especially slab. Both in qualifiers and finals it was the slab route that pulled me down (quite literally). All in all, it was a very enjoyable final bouldering divisionals: hanging out with old friends and having Nerf gun battles in isolation.

A desperate campus on Problem #3
in Finals
On the outdoor side of things, I have so far gone on both of my free weekends. My first outdoor climb this year was near Sedona, AZ at The Anvils, a new place for me. After spending a good half hour trying to cross a somewhat flooded river, we finally made it to the boulders. I managed to get a fairly quick send of a very nice climb, Mars Attacks, my first V9 in Arizona. Afterwards, I gave Alien Baby Right (V9) and Big Sexy (V10) a good amount of attempts without too much success. Out of all of the places in Arizona, this is one of my favorites. The boulder problems really flow and allow for very interesting beta. The approach is also quite enjoyable as long as you don't fall into a river.
The first move and the crux of
Mars Attacks (V9)

My second venture outdoors was just yesterday in Colorado. A few friends and I hit up Matthew-Winters Park which is only fifteen minutes away from school. The approach was quite icy which ended in me slipping and landing on my ass upwards of ten times throughout trip (my choice of approach shoe was also not the best). Climbing in the cold was also quite a new experience for me, and I think its safe to say I'm not a fan of numb fingers. I gave most of my attempts to a 2-move V10, Purity Control, and I looked at some nice projects for the spring when it warms up including Bambi (V11+). Eventually, however, the lack of feeling in our toes and fingers lead us back home.

I am very eager to see what this new year holds for me in terms of outdoor climbing. With rope season coming up, I think this will be the semester of the 5.14. I have already begun looking at some nearby 5.14a's to begin projecting.

Well, now I'm back in Colorado, in for my second semester at school, one which will be packed with more training, competition, and outdoor climbing. In two weeks, I'm off to my first Open Bouldering Nationals followed by my last Youth Bouldering Nationals, both of which will be in Madison, WI. Then, it's straight to endurance training for Open Lead Nationals in Boston, MA. I am thrilled to start this new chapter in my climbing career and it's all happening this semester. Which means, training, training, and more training (especially on some slab).

No comments:

Post a Comment